Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tribute to a brother in law and friend




This is a photo of my sister Liz and Alan, my brother in law. Sadly Alan died from a massive heart attack on Sunday. I believe he was on a charity walk when it happened.



I only met Alan once when he came to Australia, but we kept in contact through emails.


Alan was a gentle man yet full of courage. He made sure his carbon footprint was as small as possible. He ate only organic meat. Which in my opinion is the only ethical way to eat meat.




He worked as a volunteer for the lifeboat service. I don't mean answering the phone. He sent me a photo one day of him skippering a new life boat across the Irish Sea.



Alan was always there for my mother Nancy. If Mum needed something fixed Alan would get in his car and drive 250 miles on shitty criss cross roads fix the problem and drive back the next day.



Alan loved life and especially my sister.


In true Aussie spirit I raise my glass to you Alan friend and brother in law.
"No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind.".. John Donne

No comments:

Post a Comment